Saturday, June 16, 2007

The youth of today

OK, I'm not as horrible as I may have made out before. I do not beat my children. I just get exasperated with them. They can be really sweet little boys and are really good boys much of the time.

Anyway, onto other things. They have gone to visit their other grandparents today. I have been to see the new Pirates Of The Caribbean film. It is SO long! But a great film. The end credits are about ten minutes long! Sitting through them is really worth it. I won't tell you why in case you haven't seen it.
I was walking back home from the city. I live about a mile or so out from the city centre. I walked past a couple of young lads, can't have been much older than about fourteen or thereabouts. They both had an open can of fosters in their hand and were walking down the street. One of them asked me for a rizler, but I don't smoke. His voice sounded a bit slurred. I was thinking 'How old are you? Who supplied you with that alcohol? Do you know it is illegal to drink on the streets in the city centre?' I only replied to his question and said nothing more. I think I'm beginning to think like a copper. Before, I would not have thought like that in the same situation.
I walk past the police station everytime I go into the city, as it's on my route. Today I noticed the lack of squad cars parked out front and instead there was many of those small crime scene investigation vans parked out front. And the usual couple of large marked vans. Where are they all this afternoon? There is normally several marked cars parked out front of the station. The station is the area headquarters.
There is a small area in the city that is designated for graffiti. Some of it gets changed every week of so. This week one of the paintings is really good. Someone has spray painted a beautiful portrait of a womans face with long flowing hair. Who ever these grafiti artists are, a few of them are really talented.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When Graffiti is good it's really good. I love the stuff thats next to the tracks as you go into Paddington, although I don't think it's such a good idea being so close to a live railway track!
If your anything like me you'll love Banksy's work, if you haven't heard of him he's street artist from Bristol & has done graffiti anywhere from London the dividng wall in Ghaza (I think) I've got his website link on my blog but it's www.banksy.co.uk & then just click on the Banksy icon, it's brilliant :o)